WHITE CHOCOLATE & CRANBERRY YULE LOG
2 hour 30 minutes
Bake a traditional dessert with a twist. This White Chocolate & Cranberry Yule Log from My Kitchen Drawer makes for an alternative sweet treat for Christmas celebrations.
for the white chocolate sponge:
6 eggs, separated
200g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
50g plain flour
2 tbsp Whittard Luxury White Hot Chocolate
4 tbsp icing sugar
for the mascarpone & cranberry filling:
250ml double cream, cold
100g mascarpone cream, room temperature
60g icing sugar
2 tsp Whittard Luxury White Hot Chocolate
5 tbsp cranberry sauce
for the white chocolate ganache:
225g white chocolate
140ml double cream
2 tbsp butter, melted
for the frosted cranberry decorations:
100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a 23x33cm swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks, vanilla and 100g golden caster sugar until thick and doubled in size.
- Sieve in the plain flour then add 2 tbsp Whittard Luxury White Hot Chocolate and fold everything together gently until combined.
- In a separate large bowl or standing mixer, whisk the egg white until thick and pillowy then gradually add the remaining 100g golden caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time until you have a thick and glossy meringue.
- Add the ¾ of the meringue to the egg yolk mixture and fold it through very gently with a large metal spoon in a figure of 8 motion until combined. Be careful not to knock out too much air. Add the remaining meringue and fold through again until combined smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared swiss roll tin and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile lay out a piece of baking paper of a kitchen tea towel and dust it generously with icing sugar
- When the sponge is baked, gently push the sponge away from the sides with a knife then tip the tin over onto the baking paper or tea towel to release the sponge.
- Carefully peel away the baking paper then roll up the sponge and leave it aside to cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Add the cold double cream and icing sugar to bowl or standing mixer and whip until soft peaks.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and White Hot Chocolate then fold it through until it’s all just combined.
- Chop the white chocolate finely then add to a medium bowl.
- Heat the cream gently in a pan until it begins to boil, then pour all over the chocolate.
- Leave it for a few minutes then add the melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Leave to one side or in the fridge until thickened (approx. 30 minutes)
- Once thickened, whisk the ganache for a few minutes until slightly fluffy.
- Add 50g caster sugar and 50ml water to a pan and heat until the sugar has melted.
- Add the cranberries and swirl them through the sugar mixture for a few minutes
- Drain the cranberries on to a baking tray and leave aside for 30-45 minutes for them to dry and go sticky.
- Once dried, coat with caster sugar.
- Carefully unroll the cooled sponge (it will be very delicate) then spread over a layer of mascarpone cream, followed by 4-5 tbsp cranberry sauce.
- Roll the sponge back up then cut the end off at a slight angle and position it to one side of the roll (to resemble a log)
- Spread the whipped white chocolate ganache all over the sponge then decorate with sprigs of rosemary and some frosted cranberries.
- This is best served within 24 hours but will keep for 2 days. Leave in the fridge until serving.
FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE SPONGE
FOR THE MASCARPONE CREAM
FOR YOUR WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
FOR THE FROSTED CRANBERRY DECORATIONS